Hi Kevin,

I just finished migrating a Dspace instance away from Oracle, so have run the
same Dspace instance under both Postgres and Oracle. I also saw a dramatic
speed bump after running under Postgres, but the hardware was newer, so cannot
be completely certain it was just due to the migration.

I felt (as do many fortune 500 companies, from my research) that Postgres is a
better solution for medium and small sized databases. My three main reasons for
migrating were:

1) price
2) footprint / speed
3) ease of administration

Oracle really shines when your datasets are so large, or used so heavily, that
your database is hosted over multiple boxes. Another reason for using Oracle,
is if you already have Oracle in place for other projects, and don't want to
host both Postgres AND Oracle.

Having said that, properly admin'ing Oracle requires a great deal more
knowledge than admin'ing Postgres. It is very common (and a quick search on
Google verifies this) for an entire team of DBAs to be needed to host Oracle in
the same manner that Postgres can be admin'ed by one DBA.

Also, the data stored in the database for Dspace is mostly metadata, not the
actual archived files, which are stored on disk. Oracle cannot be justified for
data set used by Dspace. One Postgres instance is likely to handle anything a
typical Dspace app can throw at it.

Finally, Oracle has a much larger footprint than Postgres. Honestly, Oracle is
a resource hog. If you migrate to Oracle, isolate it on its own box, and I
suggest making that a pretty beefy box, also.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Terrance Davis

-----