Picky point: the Theme stage does not produce HTML; it produces XHTML.
So we really are transforming one XML dialect to another.  It's just
that the output dialect has (by design) the nice property that it has
an agreed-upon meaning to web browsers and can be rendered in a
standardized way as pages.

I think we would get a lot more comprehensibility if we just split up
the huuuuge structural.xsl into a collection of modules, concerned
with various bits of the UI, and added a lot of commentary and perhaps
a user's guide.  Having done that, we might more clearly see how to
further refine the collection.  A good sharp look at the code might
indeed suggest that page types could be pulled out.  But I'd like to
plead with the community to design first and *then* execute, rather
than assume that all who have gone before us know more about our task
than we do and simply copy what they have done.

There may be some tendency to confuse templating in the XSL sense and
templating in the web-page sense.  I don't think they are
interchangeable.  Let's see what we get from the current logical
organization and whether it's worth keeping, however we rearrange it
physically.

There's already some modularity:  the metadata Handlers pull out quite
a bit of stuff that one doesn't often need to examine and would not
wish to wade past.

That said, I'll add my voice to those who say that the current code is
difficult to understand and might be made less so.

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Balance your desire for bells and whistles with the reality that only a