Why?

Ahm every modern Forum can be set to send an email for every post to all
readers of the thread including the message

Don't understand me wrong, for me a maillinglist is the "cheapest" method.

If my mailserver have 100 or 5000 mails more a day I don care.

A forum on the toher side with lets say 100 active user or 500 is a big
difference and much more load.

But I think a forum with email reminder at new posts is better.

You can have moderators, you can close senseless threads. You can stick the
important ones .

You can make read only or hidden subforums for developers all real usefull
things.

Not only as an archive.

If is good structured its also able to suite the patches and stuff like
this.

Ill take a look which forums can link to a maillinglist but chances are not
that great.

One another big plus for a forum is that all communication is stored in the
database permanently. So we can do everything with it (like latest post from
an moderated new patch thread as an topnews on the homepage..and stuff like
this)

Also register new user is easier for the most users on a forum.

On the other hand maillinglist have 3 advantages:

You can use them directly from the mail client.

You see all new and actual post and reaction mabe better cause everyone
getting remindet and answering is a oneclick thing

Everyone can archive the list byhimself (maybe someone wanna do this but i
don't think much users will do)

But there not that easy to search even with a good webinterface for the
archive.

Its not that easy to answer on an old thread without having the original
message (copy and paste grr)

All messages are in single files like mbox.. don't make it easier to
transfer them into antoher application

If someone spamms, the moderation can only prevent future spams, but the old
one are on way while in a forum you can mass delete with one click, lock
ips, ...

So I think there many advantages and new users (which don't know how to use
majordomos mailing lists or afraid to try) can come easier

BUT if to many people mean they would join a list but no forum we can only
do a maillinglist

Otherwise we would split existing users into 2 groups (and we have not so
many active users) so the danger is great that both can break the community
to death

On the other hand. Maillinglists are not suiteable for big traffic.

Ok they can to it but the "fast response and inform effect" is gone when oyu
recive 30 or 50 posts a day.

It will suck very fast,.. youll just going to delete and don't read most
messages.

Make also no sense transport the hole traffic to everyone so I think a forum
with email reminder would be better (guess why every other project has
mostly forums and if they have a maillinglist only as an addition for a
small user group)