Yes, its legal (in the US):

FCC Part 97.119c "One or more indicators may be included with the call
sign. Each indicator must be separated from the call sign by the slant
mark (/) or by any suitable word that denotes the slant mark. If an
indicator is self-assigned, it must be included before, after, or both
before and after, the call sign. No self-assigned indicator may
conflict with any other indicator specified by the FCC Rules or with
any prefix assigned to another country."

 From a protocol point of view, it is not part of the address/callsign
- it is a separate field.  Actually the 8th position designator
(module, etc.) is more problematic from a very strict reading of the
above rule, but I think most regulators would permit some leeway
here.  There is no intent to mislead and there is usually a space
separating the callsign from the designator.

One must also be cognizant of 97.113a4 which prohibits "false or
decptive messages, signals or identification"

On May 19, 2009, at 7:30 AM, Barry A. Wilson wrote:

> Ray & John,
>
> It was originally stated to use the MYCALL short message field which
> is
> only 4 characters and I think it has merit but is it legal?

John Hays
Amateur Radio: K7VE
j...@hays.org