--- In dstar_digital@yahoogroups.com, "Woodrick, Ed" <ewoodr...@...> wrote:

> If you stick to the specifics of the protocol, then if you put something
> besides your callsign in the field, then it wouldn't be in accordance with
> the protocol. If it isn't in accordance with the protocol, then you will need
> to follow the requirements of utilization of a non-published protocol. This
> would require, among other things, that the station identification be done in
> a standard protocol such as FM or CW. (For US rules)
>
> So I guess if you want to get down to nitpicking, if the callsign is not in
> the field then you need to make sure to switch your radio to FM and identify
> appropriately.
>
> Ed WA4YIH

Though I am of the school that the "MY" field should contain one's own
callsign, I don't think your argument about having to ID using FM or CW is
correct. The "standard protocol" includes AMBE encoded voice, which can be
readily deciphered by anyone with a D-STAR radio and giving a "voice" ID over
AMBE, I believe, would constitute a legal identification within the US rules.

-- John, K7VE