At 08:28 AM 7/24/2009, you wrote:

>What is definately needed is a complete network, where all are connected
>together, some way.

I agree.  I have concerns about there being one Trust server, but
this is more an architectural issue.  Like other networks have done,
there should be a number of geographically dispersed Trust servers
that hold the same set of registration data for the entire
network.  These servers would behave as one distributed Trust server
for everyone.  IRLP does something similar, Echolink has
distributed/redundant servers, D-STAR should do the same.  However,
these servers should maintain the same data set between, so the
network is a unified whole.  This means that if one server falls
over, it doesn't take the whole network with it.  This I see as a
serious weakness of the current Icom design.

I also agree about the comments of authentication.  I don't see a
real need to register DV users.  DD users may have cause to register,
because they get assigned an IP address, though I'm sure this could
be reengineered into a new architecture.  And I agree that DV Dongle
users need to (1) be authenticated using some form of strong
authentication, and (2) that they be made capable of G2 style
routing, not just being a client on the network.

>Currently if multiple trust servers are created, they tear down the
>common network and create small cells which cannot talk to each other.
>That's not how it should be, so if you need to design your own trust
>servers, do it so that they exchange information with each other if so
>configured. D-STAR is not about everybody's own network but a global
>network.

Agree, a global network, rather than a bunch of cells is what we need.

73 de VK3JED / VK3IRL
http://vkradio.com