Very well put, Ed.  I agree with your sentiments about open vs. closed
and how it can be applied to different pieces of D-STAR differently, and
that was the whole point of my reply and questions.

Comparing D-STAR to iPhone is somewhat an Apples-to-Oranges (pun
intended? - GRIN!) comparison though.

Try comparing D-STAR development to say, development for a P25 repeater
or development for MotoTRBO.  Let's stick to similar products doing
similar things.

In that vein, D-STAR Gateway development is about equal in "open-ness"
to paying the fee and becoming a Moto developer.  First you have to be a
Gateway admin or have access to a Gateway... etc etc etc... the list of
"must do's" are pretty long to develop software for the "back end".

Also, you're a tiny bit hung up on the On-Air/RF side of things as being
open, without realizing that I'm more interested in the server side of
things...

Yes, the specs are published for the RF protocol (and from what I hear,
the specs aren't exactly what Icom implements in their rigs - they add
on to it), but *most* folks aren't interested in building radios.  What
they are interested in is the the things that actually make D-STAR
*different*, and those things are handled up at the site in the
controller, and in the servers on the Internet...

Changes in those are where changes make a significant difference in
D-STAR's capabilities.

Gateway development is a much more closed environment than the on-air/RF
side of things.  People are doing it, but it's a "gauntlet" so to speak
of reverse-engineering that everyone's "afraid" to document for fear of
abuse. The reality is... the on-air protocol and rig implementation is
so ripe for abuse, that worrying about gateway abuse is "closing the
gate after the sheep got out".

P25: Hard to develop for today, but working on a standardized interface
for the linking/site side of things.  No community or centralized
distribution mechanisms, really yet.  Maybe after the
off-air/hardware/interop specs are published... someday.

MotoTRBO: Pay some money, get your SDK and the full specs of how to
interoperate with the boxes.  Nothing's free.  Tons of developers and
product already released.  Not sure the quality of most of them, reviews
of them are a bit light in the press so far.  Can find any registered
developer's apps on one manufacturer's website... Moto's.  "Smells" like
a well-run 3rd party developer project, to me, with vendors lining up to
create applications and competing, but requires $ to play.

D-STAR: Reverse-engineer well enough to be accepted into a small group
of developers.  Piss them off, lose access.  Basically a "morals and
talent" gauntlet.  Finding out who's part of the clan, is rather
difficult. Open-source products are about a 1-to-4 ratio right now out
of those folks.  Nothing resembling a central repository.  "Smells"
Amateur-ish to me, which matches what it is.  Some of the solutions
require $ to play, others are given freely as programs without source, a
very small number are open-source.

I can't think of any other digital radio systems in wide use to analyze
"openness".  Those are the "big three" right now for Amateur use, and
I'm not "pushing" any particular one.  I just like comparing all of them
to each other... they're ultimately all in competition for the hearts
and minds of Amateurs.  D-STAR drops out when you switch to the
Commercial world.

(Technically you also pick up the Kenwood/Icom partnership of their
TDMA-based systems when you cross over from Amateur to Commercial... I
haven't seen any significant up-take of the Kenwood/Icom system(s) in
the Amateur world.  But they do have a digital product pointed squarely
at the commercial folks, marketing-wise.  I leave it out of the
comparisons, because I'm an Amateur and I'm not interested in making
anything about my radio hobby Commercial.)

Which is better? I don't know... but none of them are truly "open".
That's all I was ever saying... And I wasn't trying to piss in anyone's
Cheerios.

I think we do the world a disservice if we answer "it's all open", when
it's not.  NONE of the existing systems out there are truly open, 100%.

I hold out hope for a truly open-source D-STAR Gateway... that would be
a real game-changer.

Nate WY0X