On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:38 AM, l1x <lecc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> However:
>
> r...@opensolaris:~# dtrace -l | grep -i ruby | wc -l
> 0
>
> (just to confirm
> r...@opensolaris:~# dtrace -l | grep -i postgres | wc -l
> 55
> )

Because the ruby DTrace probes are USDT probes, they're only going to
show up if there's an instance of Ruby running.

But there might be a problem.  I just installed this version of Ruby
on an OpenSolaris box, and I see nothing:

x2200# dtrace -ln 'ruby$target:::' -c "ruby /tmp/hello.rb"
   ID   PROVIDER            MODULE                          FUNCTION NAME
dtrace: failed to match ruby100999:::: No probe matches description
hello
x2200#

This is the problem:

x2200# file /usr/ruby/1.8/lib/libruby.so
/usr/ruby/1.8/lib/libruby.so:   ELF 32-bit LSB dynamic lib 80386
Version 1 [FPU], dynamically linked, stripped
x2200#

Because the installed version of this library is stripped,
libdtrace(3LIB) can't find the DTrace probes.

Chad