Robert Milkowski wrote:
m...@bruningsystems.com wrote:
Hi l1x,

l1x wrote:
Hey, I am wondering how can I enable dtrace probes to ruby

However:

r...@opensolaris:~# dtrace -l | grep -i ruby | wc -l
0

(just to confirm r...@opensolaris:~# dtrace -l | grep -i postgres | wc -l
55
)
dtrace -l by itself will only show kernel probes. I doubt there are any probes in
the operating system for ruby or postgres.   You might try looking at
http://ruby-dtrace.rubyforge.org/ for an example of using dtrace with ruby.
(Or, do what I did... search the net for "ruby dtrace probes".

dtrace -l will actually show all currently registered probes including user land USDT probes. However an instance of an application with USDT probes has to be running in order to list it.

Thanks for the correction Robert. I realized that about 5 minutes after I sent my email, but wasn't sure about terminology since I did not enable the user land probes, only listed them. And of course, the probes are handled in the kernel, so they have to be there. "Registered" works
fine.

max