I know I am pulling out an old thread, but it seems this is not the
first time ;)

I too have a squeezebox controller which does not boot up. Same symptoms
as others describe in this thread; button backlights briefly light up
when inserting the battery, but display is dark, and there is no other
indication of anything happening. There is 5V at the charging cradle
contacts, and battery has just been replaced.

The controller (and SB receiver) has been in storage for a couple of
years - I have a couple of Booms that have been used meanwhile.

Did anyone succeed in reviving this SB controller? Seems it must be a
common error.