On 29.03.19 13:46, lc wrote:
Hello Timo,

Does it also occur when your grid is fine from the beginning and you don't have hanging nodes?

Yes, I tried different variants, strctured, adapted, unstructured and the behaviour is the same.

What are your criterions for Newton convergence?

At the beginning, I just copied from some examples. Now I tried to make them more stringent but it is not resolutive.

From a modeling point of view, it's also unclear to me why you need this wavy initial condition?

Yes, it is like you say, just for triggering fingers. Unfortunately, at this point of the project is not plausible to change it.

One, "curious" aspect is that when comparing with comsol, for example, the BC is cleanly verified at all times even if in general all solution are affected by much more numerical noise.

Hi Lorenzo,

how is the boundary condition incorporated in COMSOL? I mean you can also just enforce the Dirichlet value strongly in the first cell. Then, of course it will be satisfied "cleanly". It all depends on your discretization scheme too. For example for FEM or Box you might have degrees of freedom directly on the boundary. Then you can also strongly enforce them an they will always be "cleanly" satisfied.

Timo

Could you think of anything to try to investigate such behaviour?

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Timo Koch                              phone: +49 711 685 64676
IWS, Universität Stuttgart             fax:   +49 711 685 60430
Pfaffenwaldring 61        email: timo.k...@iws.uni-stuttgart.de
D-70569 Stuttgart            url: www.hydrosys.uni-stuttgart.de