On Mon, 5 Jan 2009, Francesco Fumanti wrote:

> There is another feature that I would welcome:
>
> It would be handy if it was possible to play the stream in different
> fast forward speeds (at least 16x and  32x) when searching for ads. This
> way the user would simply have to watch and press the stop button when
> an ad appears. He would not have to use the proportional slider, whose
> precision depends on the length of the movie being cut and the size of
> the window.

Adding to this, I'd suggest having shortcut keys for skipping 30s, 1min,
5min to nearest I-frames, like in MPlayer and ProjectX. This helps in
finding commercials much simpler than using the slidebar. I do like the
slidebar and the exponential slidebar for fine-tuning, but it gets tiring
for doing the bulk of the job.

Now, to really make it simple for finding commercials, it would be GREAT
if dvbcut could identify the black frames during indexing or a separate
scan. Then, the user can jump through them and fine-tune cut points. I am
a little confused about the "difference from frame" function and
auto-chapters function. Maybe these can already do what I suggest, but I
don't know how to use them properly.

Also, I think having to select a START and END is unnecessary. ProjectX
does a good job by having a single CUTPOINT. If it's the first one, it
becomes a START, the next is maks the END, and so on. This makes the
routine cutting and editing job much simpler. In dvbcut, many times I make
a mistake and get a starting position followed by another starting
position, which doesn't make sense.

Best and happy new year to everybody,

Cengiz Gunay
--
cgu...@emory.edu  cengi...@users.sf.net (MSN)   cengi...@gmail.com
Lab: +1-404-727-3565    Home/Cell: +1-678-559-8694