Well put, Tom.
To run 5KW Output you would need 8KW input...well beyond the
normal single phase service to the average ham shack.
I think our friend in Iowa was merely making a shot gun approach
statement without any facts to back it up.
K6VX

snip>
  Running 5KW from the average residential place might be hard to do.  Normally to run this type of power you need three-phase primary power and this is usually not available in residential areas --- in fact it is often hard to obtain in light-industrial areas.

      Figure it out for yourself, even running a primary power of 220 voltrs, for just the final alone you would need 5000/220 or 22.72 amps, not counting the rest of the rig and accessories.

      Tom Orr,   W6HT