At 09:14 6/16/2003, bruce makas wrote:

No one alive can get to the 'worked and confirmed them all' list. The last ham with a possibility died some years back.

The rest of us come an at some lower number. I, for one, enjoy seeing my self up with those I most admire.

When I started DXing- (here comes the "when I was a kid, I had to walk 10 miles through 10 feet of snow to go to school." Nostalgia BS)- no one was even close to top 'o the roll. Now, it can be accomplished in a few years.

Heck, there were countries on the list that we were NOT ALLOWED to contact, e.g. U* and BY. What a challenge.

Now, shack-on-a-belt types can link through some group of capital letter technoconcept and get DXCC from his bedroom while recovering from the flu, send in the log via e-mail and have the Plaque in less than a week!

I think I will learn to crochet. Wanna doily?

Dean

Ron, You are right and wrong and this is the mis understanding everyone has.

On the one hand, you can work all of the CURRENT countries, qualify for the
DXCC honor roll and top of the honor roll (Number 1 plaque) on that basis.

On the other hand TOTAL countries is kind of like a "life time achievement
score." It recognizes that you were in the hunt for many years and yes,
there is always someone out there with more than me and I've been at it for
44 years. That's fine with me, just let me keep my all-time country credits;
I earned each one of them. I know that I'll never get to the top of the all
time list and, you know what, I don't think that anyone will ever get there.
So what? What I've earned is still an accomplishment as far as I'm
concerned. Let's keep 2 scores, current and all-time.

73, Bruce K1MY