DSL?  Oh no, I'm sorry, I should have been more specific.

I had DSL for a year 2 years ago.  Then Verizon rewired the local area for
fiber, so I've been on FIOS for the last year.

Now Verizon has it's faults -- boy, does it have it's faults! -- but in my DSL
package, I got 4 line filters.  Come to think of it, when I installed Business
DSL at a couple of insurance firms last year, they got a bunch of line filters
too, even though they didn't end up needing them.  Sounds like SBC doesn't have
their act together.

The line filters are needed for DSL because they piggyback (for lack of a
better term) the DSL digital signal on your phone line.  (Think of them as a
low pass filter! <g>)  Without the filters, you WILL have carrier hum on the
phone line.  Then there's a separate (high pass) filter that separates the data
signal from the analog phone traffic.

Actually, if you can do it, the best thing to do is to put the two filters at
the demark box.  That way, you can filter the DSL out of your phone system
right at the start, and you can then run a separate data stream from the same
point.  The only advantage to doing it the other way -- ie a filter on each
phone and at the data jack for the router -- is that you can easily move the
computer to another room without major rewiring.

Funny thing about the two Verizon techs yesterday.  Both seemed to be nice
guys, very knowledgable.  I had DirecTV over at the same time to move that
service, the Verizon guys bent over backwards to work with him -- even drilled
him a new hole for the dual-RG6 feed cables, loaned him some drill bits, helped
him route his cables.  But they wouldn't run an Ethernet cable up to the
computer.  Also wouldn't mount the wireless router on the wall were I wanted,
instead put it on a desk (that's moving as soon as I get a chance to rearrange
the basement) about 3 feet lower and 4 feet farther than where I wanted.  Oh
well, I'll just have to move it myself!

If SBC is being a pain, screw'em.  But get a broadband connection as soon as
you can.  Compared to our old dial-up service (FYI Networks), the cost
difference is roughly $10 a month, we get more mailboxes, faster connections,
and 24/7 access.  It's actually cheaper for the FIOS service than it was for a
2nd phone line, like we had at the old house years ago.

Of course, they've had DSL capabilities for years, and could charge a heck of a
lot less if they wanted to, but don't get me started on THAT rant!

73, ron w3wn