After reading a variety of opinions I felt compelled to add to the mix. While I have never been on the operating end of a DXpedition, the mere idea of allowing the entire ham population to call indiscriminately is atrocious. I am a firm believer in controlling the pile up by a variety of means. Call area is one that I find to be the most rewarding for both the DXpedition and those calling. Simply spreading out the pile up and using enormous spectrum is not the answer. The rest has been said in other threads here. And, yes, I know most of the tricks to following the DX listening frequency as I've been an active DXer for 36 years.

The most disheartening part of this is the lack of discipline those listening on the xmit frequency display. And, this really appears to be common place among most DXpeditions. Wrong VFO, is the frequency in use, whistling, generally malicious interfering with the DX xmit frequency is a never ending problem and one that can't be solved. It is a cultural problem within the amateur community and not exclusive to one continent or another. Those of you who understand won't require further explanation.

Then the height of impropriety, as is the case for KH8SI right now, is breaking the pace of the pile up to talk with another station at length. These matters should be handled on another preassigned frequency with a Pilot station.

To be sure there are those of us with tunnel vision where the almighty country total means the end all to some. I have sympathy for the young amateur of today. Gone are the days when simple equipment, simple antenna arrangements and some "stick to it" allowed a new ham to work plenty of DX and didn't require mega bucks.

Yes, (I'm sure the question is being asked), I am in the log with KH8SI.

vy 73,
Nick W9UM

"War is Peace"
"Freedom is Slavery"