On Sun, 6 May 2007, Peter Dougherty wrote:

> heh. The club station in question for me was the Hall of Science in
> Queens, WB2JSM, of which I'm a life member and past VP and station
> manager. I don't restrict myself artificially when it comes to
> all-time new ones, with one exception: I won't be spoon-fed on a
> handicapped DX net. If I can't work from my home station I will visit
> a station where I can work them from (and will let me use my own
> call). I'll use full legal power, the cluster, my ears and anything
> else that will give me an advantage and get my call in their logs.
> Yes, I've used a DX net in the past, but would never dream of
> accepting assistance from anybody on that net. If I work the guy, I
> exchange signal reports and if I don't get through, so be it (this
> was back in my 100W/wire days, before I knew better).

Our local contest club K9CU had a QTH for a few years we called "Area
51D".  We don't have it anymore.  It was a rat-infested building out in
the middle of nowhere that belonged to the University of Illinois.  It had
power but no water or heat.  We did have a tribander up over 100 feet and
a couple dipoles for 40 and 80 up that high.  But there were no rigs left
at the station.  If you wanted to operate you were free to come out with
your own rig and put up with the rats.

The antenna performed very well and I live about 5 minutes from the site.
I used to go out in the daytime once in a while to see what I could work.
I think I worked one of Baldur's operations from there.  I never could get
up the nerve to go out there at night unless there were others out there.
:-)

There are a few photos of it at http://www.qsl.net/k9cu

73, Zack W9SZ