At 09:22 PM 10/30/2007, you wrote:
--- In [EMAIL PROTECTED], Derek Wills <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Oft-repeated advice is to send FR5 mail via France with no
> mention of Reunion Island on the envelope (for an example,
> see FR5DX's address on qrz.com - well, I didn't say it works
> every time!).

Exactly.

HERIK MAUDIT-LARIVE
63 RUE DES PALMIERS
LE TAMPON 97430
FRANCE

No mention of Reunion Island is key because mail to the above address
goes via France instead of via some African countries where the mail
is pilfered.  That is not Herik's fault but the fault of the person
who does not follow the published address exactly.  97430 is the
French Zip meaning mail is redirected (securely) to Reunion.  If you
use this address and include appropriate IRCs or GS, you should get a
card with no problems.

I got cards from Herik for both 80m and 160m using the above and he
also helped me get a card from FR7BP/T (now SK) for an old 10m QSO in
1980.  Herik is a good guy but don't blame him if you cannot follow
his QSL directions.

Whoever said Herik does not work CW is wrong.  I worked him on 160 CW
from both Colorado and NC.  He was quite active on 160 just a few
years ago.

73,  Bill

Bill,

Many of us got QSLs from Herik after repeated attempts and trying every trick in the book. A few got it the first try. We were well aware of the "via France" issue. There just were too many who didn't get a response for it to be explained away by mail pilfering. When you mentioned "poor QSLer" in the 1990s, *everyone* rolled their eyes and muttered FR5DX. He had the worst reputation for returning cards I can ever recall.

You were lucky to get the cards you did, and maybe because they were 80 and 160 he treated them special. I don't know. All I do know is that the top dog DXers of the day who knew all the QSLing tricks to minimise pilfering, etc. each had their FR5DX horror stories. I know, because I was there and I remember it well.

73, Paul VE1DX