Ron KA2BZS wrote:

It's a sad commentary to say one has to "Bribe" to get a qsl.. This op used to rack up big scores in contests with hoards calling for the new country, band, or whatever with little or NO chance of ever receiving a card in return for their qsl. Many sent direct with proper postage/IRC/ $$$$ If an operator is in a rare or semi-rare country and cannot qsl responsibly, they should seek a manager who can fulfill these duties. Direct qsls should be a priority. I will not work any station in contests who will or has not returned my qsl. Just one ops opinion. 73/DX Ron

I have a slightly different view Ron.

DXing is just one big game, and the rare stations who are in demand set the QSL rules. If you want to play (you don't have to), then you play by their rules. Personally, I enjoy the game, and get a lot of satisfaction wheedling a QSL by one means or another from every low-band zone or country I work. I have 100% band-zones/countries confirmed from 40M/75M SSB QSOs over 6 months old. That's close to 680 cards.

I'm totally baffled by people who willingly drop $3000 on a beautiful new rig, and then complain bitterly about having to spend a little effort and/or $2 to get a QSL back proving their accomplishments. I now spend almost as much time and effort on QSLing as I do on DXing. I'm ready to go to great lengths - all the usual tricks, plus FedEx with prepaid return, foreign couriers, "donations" (for the QSL, NOT the QSO!), and - as I said previously - complaining to the operator's mother. It's all part of the fun, and after umpteen years I still love to see those airmail envelopes arrive in my mailbox!

Just my 2c worth,

John, NT5C.