Pardon me?

The ARRL is neither for nor against Kosova's independance.  The DXCC desk is
simply applying the rules as they currently exist.  Unwarranted smears
against the organization are not going to help matters any, if you're
inclined to try and change their minds on the matter.

Funny that you should mention this today.  In today's mail came my card from
FJ/OH2AM.  Within the letter, besides the usual fillers for The Daily DX and
NCDXF was a nice, slick, preprinted post card, already addressed to my
Division Director -- in short, a form letter that all I had to do was sign
stamp & drop in the mail -- requesting a change in the DXCC rules
retroactive to February 17, which (not coincidentally, I'm sure) would make
the operation a few weeks back "count."

This troubles me on several levels.  I don't like it in general when
someone, even people I know and respect, try to do an end-run around the
rules that were in place at the time of the operation.  I don't like it when
someone tries to influence an organization with mass-mailings like this,
which sometimes work, but sometimes backfire.

What I dislike the most, though, are these continued calls for a quick-fix
to the rules we've had in place for close to 10 years.  Overall, the current
DXCC rules (while not perfect -- I still disagree about not placing new
deleted entities on the existing deleted list) are fair, baqlanced, and
devoid of many of the unintended loopholes that existed in the past.

The irony is that the rules originally had a way around the UN / ITU
recognition.  The existance of an IARU society.  Now, I always thought that
rule was simply a way to make certain that a few entities (Hong Kong and
Macao specifically) to stay on the list after their political situation
changed.  But it has been pointed out to me, by someone who was very
involved in the drafting and updating of the rules, that this was also
intended to be used to cover political situations similar to Kosova.

[Why did the rule get dropped?  Do an internet search on the original
Swain's expedition.  I can't say more about that, or the rule that replaced
it (which did get Swain's put on the list after all) without revealing some
of my sources; I should not speak for them or put them further on the spot.]

Bottom line is that the rules of unintended consequences have led to this
situation.

Yet, in all of the clamor to add Kosova to the list, no one seems to be able
to suggest HOW to do it, in a fair way.  Just THAT it should (or shouldn't)
be done.

Rather than try to put pressure on the DXCC desk, directly or indirectly
through the ARRL board, why don't we draft a proposed rule that WILL cover
this and similar situations.

And if this rule can't be applied retroactively?  Well, that's the risks a
DXpedition trying to be "first from a new one" takes.  Just like the first
group to Swain's, or Scarborogh, or others.  Them's the breaks.

73, ron w3wn