A couple of clarifications:

1. DX4WIN only credits if you request that credit to happen by turning on
or off the valid bands to match (or separate award).  So, if you submit
your first DXCC MIXED, with 105 cards, those QSO's will be credited in
DX4WIN *only* for Mixed.  Not for Mode or Band, which the ARRL will
automatically credit you for towards those awards.  This is what I'm
attempting to describe.

2. Taking cards to hamfests places a limit of something like120 cards for
your submission.  This causes one to start eliminating categories to trim
the list.  So, let's say I want to trim my list by not submitting for the
40m band category, and I turn that off in DX4WIN.  The logic will cause
any submissions that were purely for 40m band to be eliminated.  However,
a new mode QSL that happens to be on 40m will be submitted, and the ARRL
will credit it for both mode and 40m band credit.  However, DX4WIN will
not credit it for 40m.  Giving credit vs. what you are submitting for are
two different concepts, and that is where DX4WIN errs.  This is the kind
of thing I'm describing.

3. Agreed, ARRL will not give you an award for anything with less than
100 countries, however, that QSO is credited toward the award whether you
have applied for it or not (re: the example above).

4. And, yes, the ARRL has not always taken this approach, however they
have consistently since I've been submitting cards, which started in 1990
or '91.  So, for old timers, they still need to do that initial
reconcile.

Sorry to belabor this, but I hope it clears up what I'm trying to say.
The last time I spoke to him about it, Paul agreed it did not work as the
ARRL describes they do the crediting, but was adamant he was not going
change it because of  how he reads the rules.  I like the program in
almost all other respects, but this part always causes me more grief than
I like!

        73,  Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas