On 3 Feb 2002, at 9:33, SnowDog wrote:

> > > I think you guys have lost track of the whole purpose of the
> > > Turing number.  It is to prevent automated trials by ensuring that
> > > a human being is there.  What you are proposing amounts to an
> > > additional or longer passphrase and in no way excludes automated
> > > trials any more than the simple number now being used.
>
> As Mr. Van den Berghe demonstrated, it's much more difficult to crack
> than a longer passphrase.

I won't argue the security/passphrase issues.  They have been hashed
over on this list ad infinitum.  My point remains: the purpose of the
Turing number is not security per se but to eliminate automated
trials.  How well the turning number actually does this is
irrelevant.  This proposal does not serve to advance that purpose.

Best,

CCS

-      Virtual Phonecards - Instant Pin by Email      -
-            Large Selection - Great Rates            -
-  http://speedypin.com/phonecard/start.mhtml?af=743  -