On Thursday, November 20, 2003, at 09:29 PM, Wilkinson Jens wrote:

Actually this brings me to another comment. I've never
seen a bank before where accounts had different numbers of
digits (presumably varying from one to seven now). I know
it's convenient system-wise, and impossible to change now,
but it does seem a bit clumsy in terms of making sure
whether a number is correct or not.

Which brings me to an occasional gripe of mine, when someone says pay such-and-such to account 032834729389237 or whatever and they don't tell you the NAME on the account. It would help if they said 032834729389237 "XYZ Enterprises" so I wouldn't have to obsess about whether I (or the account holder) had transposed or dropped a digit somewhere.

What's really unnerving is cases like paying a guy you know is named "John Smith" and having the account name come up as something unexpected like "XYZ Enterprises." The last time this happened I just double-checked the number, bit the bullet, and completed the spend, hoping that John Smith had not made an error when he told me the account number.

By the way, 1mdc requires both the account number and the account initials, which helps quite a bit.

Also, I suspect that the last character in a Goldmoney account number like 50-06-54-T is a checksum digit which prevents transposition errors. This may also apply to e-bullion account numbers such as A29293, but I'm not sure. It's kind of hard to go wrong with Pecunix also because you just spend to an email address.

But even in these cases it's comforting to know the account name when making a spend.

-- Patrick

--- You are currently subscribed to e-gold-list as: [EMAIL PROTECTED] To unsubscribe send a blank email to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Use e-gold's Secure Randomized Keyboard (SRK) when accessing your e-gold account(s) via the web and shopping cart interfaces to help thwart keystroke loggers and common viruses.