Hi,
Duarte, you could save time if you start from a working program. Matlab communication including pictures exists. BTcom and other programs, already answers to image requests from a PC. so you do not need to modify the e-puck code. You can optimize and personalize it after all works.
the svn snapshot that sergi pointed out is one source:
http://www.e-puck.org/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=11:library&Itemid=38 <http://www.e-puck.org/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=category&id=11:library&Itemid=38>
otherwise the svn itself
http://gna.org/projects/e-puck
or the wiki on GCtronic
http://gctronic.com/doc/index.php/E-Puck#Software
and matlab interface:
http://www.e-puck.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=29&Itemid=27

Some answers to your questions:
Starting from e-puck 1500 the camera is a po6060.
The driver is only available for "fast_2_timer".
Empty buffer probably shows that the camera is used fully correctly. thus it is advised to start with a proven working program.

Thanks Sergi for your answers and propositions.

good luck,
gilles