Davide,

> The most logical way of doing so seems to be by creating hidden
> modules for the dependencies we don't want the users to see. However,
> when installing other easyconfig packages from the default easyconfig
> files they cannot see the hidden modules and try to install them again.
> Is there a way to tell EB to automatically look for hidden packages
> without modifying the easyconfig files?

At this point not, unfortunately.  A corresponding issue has
been created already quite some time ago [1], but since then
hasn't received much attention.  Since I'm very interested in
this feature as well and would like to see it implemented
rather sooner than later, I recently started looking into it.
But I'm still far from a clean and working solution -- though
Kenneth claims that it shouldn't be too hard...  But that's
what he is saying all the time ;-)

Markus

[1] https://github.com/hpcugent/easybuild-framework/issues/1079

--