Note that there is also a complimentary approach using --dump-env-script,
e.g.:
$ eb --dump-env-script HPL-2.2-foss-2018b.eb
== temporary log file in case of crash
/localscratch/eb-GygDhc/easybuild-HYqbH4.log
Script to set up build environment for HPL-2.2-foss-2018b.eb dumped to
HPL-2.2-foss-2018b.env
== Temporary log file(s) /localscratch/eb-GygDhc/easybuild-HYqbH4.log* have
been removed.
== Temporary directory /localscratch/eb-GygDhc has been removed.
$ source HPL-2.2-foss-2018b.env
$ echo $CC
mpicc

you can inspect the env script to see what is set. From time to time I do
that when compilations are stuck: source the env script and then cd to the
build folder which is still there after the compilation failed (we put it
somewhere under /dev/shm for speed).

Just be aware that after sourcing this the shell session is essentially
"throw-away" -- it is too polluted to do much else after.

Regards,
Bart

--
Dr. Bart E. Oldeman | bart.olde...@mcgill.ca | bart.olde...@calculquebec.ca
Scientific Computing Analyst / Analyste en calcul scientifique