-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Andy Dyer
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 11:45 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: plagiarism

I am currently pursuing an undergraduate case where I will advocate that
the student in question be expelled for the 4th documented occurrence of
plagiarism.  We cannot, in good conscience, allow students that cheat to
graduate from our departments.  I consider plagiarism to be intellectual
dishonesty of the worst kind.  It is premeditated cheating: planned and
intentional.

What could be worse than plagiarism at the next level?  Now, I
understand that there can be mistakes.  I helped publish a MS thesis a
few years back that had direct uncredited quotes, but I believe the
student had written the quotes into a note book from papers on the
subject and then later failed to recognize that the notes did not
represent his/her own writing.  Sloppy, but excusable, and I caught it
in time. And I became more careful after that.

Bottom line, if it's intentional, it's serious and should not be
tolerated.
Andy

Andrew R. Dyer
Assoc. Professor of Ecology