Hello all,
for quite some time i have had some confusion over quoting literature, and
perhaps this plagiarism thread could offer some ideas..

If one were to quote a paper, i have heard that one is NOT supposed to directly
lift a sentence or para or any parts thereof, even though the paper would be
quoted as a reference. Instead, one has to paraphrase the same in one's own
words.
Is this true ? If so, the logic fails me. How does it matter if one rephrases
the sentence, when the idea or result has been copied ( and referenced of
course ).

Thanks for any views
amartya