Uh, oh--Nielsen has no idea what a Pandora's box he's opened; he will
need a year's lead time just to read the rants.  So how does he punt
against his deadline (the only silly part) without desolving into a
bunch of frantic sound bytes?

My "too sense" on the matter is this--what never gets discussed is
the "Weed Nazi" phenomenon, a group of frantic fanatics who get out
of their armchairs (bless 'em) and just whack, whack,
whack!  Certainly some good gets done, but the unfortunate part is
that the energy and money gets sucked away from places (It's in my
backyard!) and species where it is more urgently needed (of course,
one can't be expected to ignore one's backyard, but one can set
objective priorities and determine the real feasibility of actually
having a lasting effect--the latter can be extremely difficult, but
the futility and frustration of applying anything short of enough
energy and other resources to the problem to provide a lasting
solution is tragic.  Not to mention that some "whacking" can create
other problems, even make the problem worse.

There are some aliens that do little harm; some even provide
benefits.  This statement is anathema, heresy, fighting words, to
many, many very caring people.  But so many of those caring people
have their egos inextricably wrapped up in this very laudable
mission--it is often their reason for living, often it is a filler of
a hole in a person's life.  One can't argue with that.

Here's the heart of my "rant."  Healthy ecosystems tend to resist
invasion.  (However, the introduction of an alien species can, in
some cases, but not all, truly invade healthy ecosystems.  Those are
the toughest to lick.  But a great number of invaders are dependent
upon other influences that affect ecosystem health--land disturbances
great (grading, mining) and small, in the sense of not being grossly
visible, such as air pollution.  There is also climate change,
natural and human -caused.  Species composition reflects habitat
conditions.  Habitat conditions change all the time.  Sometimes, just
a shift in the weather, like a dry year or a wet year, is enough to
bring about drastic changes in ecosystem dynamics.

Well, enough for now.  Questions?  Challenges?  The radio show will
come and go; the issue will, like some, but not all, invasive
species, keep on invading our thoughts.

WT

I'm sending Nielsen a copy.