Joe makes some interesting points.  I've inserted some comments [[thus--WT]].

WT

At 10:04 AM 11/16/2007, Joe Tyburczy wrote:
>Another point I'd like to pick up on is that a distinction should be
>made between introduced species (those outside of their native range)
>and invaders (introduced species that aggressively expand their range
>and cause problems).

[[This point needs no introduction, but should be introduced and
reintroduced and introduced ad infinitum, because many don't get it
and even more don't refine it and organize it and dig into the
details rather than rely upon the generalities alone (including
myself).  A further distinction might be those which are merely
ruderal (dependent upon disturbance and which fade to insignificance
or disappear within healthy ecosystems and those which invade,
persist, and expand their populations within healthy
ecosystems.  Others may wish to refine or redefine this point further. --WT]]

>   While I agree that it may be counterproductive to
>be hyper-vigilant and crusade against every introduced species, I think
>that increasing awareness of the problems posed by invaders is
>valuable.

[[I hope I did not imply such an extreme characterization.  I
intended only to starkly point out that the term "Weed Nazi" has not
arisen for no reason, and to suggest with the gentlest subtlety that
ecologists might help in drawing distinctions for those very
well-meaning folks so that they could better distinguish between
"every introduced species" and the value of that very "increasing
awareness."  Once aware of the distinctions, the "Weed Nazi"
appellation would then fade away in such a healthy intellectual
ecosystem, and the allocation of scarce resources could then be
focused on the worst cases in which sufficient resources are
available to be permanently effective. --WT]]

>   Furthermore, because a fraction of species introductions
>inevitably become invasive, minimizing introductions is a way of
>averting future invasions.

[[Ah, yes--would that this would be so in the real world! --WT]]

>   One very important example of this is the
>ongoing introduction of species to San Francisco Bay in ballast water --
>at a rate of 1 every 14 weeks! (Cohen & Carlton 1998, Science)  I think
>that directing the public's attention to the importance of concerns like
>this is the only way that we'll convince our leaders to muster the
>political will to address these problems.

[[Given agreement on the "nasty quotient" of a particular species,
the effectiveness of countermeasures, and the adequacy of the
available resources to be applied to the task with a reasonable
certainty of effectiveness, one would be ill-advised to
argue.  Unless someone has a suggestion as to how one or more of
these requirements for feasibility might be left out and still
achieve effectiveness, all that is likely to be left is the option of
thrashing about and hoping for the best.  Science, I suggest, just
might be able to assist the well-intentioned multitudes in providing
more reason for hope. --WT]]

>Additionally, the hypothesis that healthy, intact ecosystems are
>necessarily resistant to invasion, is at best context dependent.

[[What might it be at worst?  Does this mean that healthy, intact
ecosystems do not resist invasion?  Please provide example contexts
(I do not disagree on this point, but I don't want to presume to
interpret your meaning. --WT]]

>   While
>in general, anthropogenic disturbance often facilitates invasion

[[Might it be worthwhile to consider at greater length whether or not
the anthropogenic disturbance merely refers to the site of the
disturbance and not "healthy ecosystems," and whether or not the
anthropogenic disturbance (human>cow>grazing, trampling, wallowing,
etc.>dispersal>population increase>invasion of healthy ecosystem)
facilitated the actual INVASION of the ecosystem as a result of,
ecotype selection or the mere fecundity of the invading organism? --WT]]

>, there
>is variation in the aggressiveness of invaders -- and there is also
>variation in the susceptibility of different ecosystems and habitat
>types.

[[Are these not intimately connected?  Do invaders possess some
special weapon for invasion, or do they merely sneak across the
border and find salubrious circumstances? --WT]]

>   I strongly disagree with the implication that without other
>human impacts, invasions would not be a problem.

[[May I meekly suggest that I inferred no such implication?  Kindly
attach the offending text. --WT]]

>-Joe Tyburczy
>
>P.S. In keeping with my marine theme, the invader I love to hate is
>Caulerpa taxifolia, the introduced green alga that has few natural
>enemies and has invaded marine environments across the globe, including
>large areas of the Mediterranean.

[[Quite!  We--or at least I--need to know much more about the biology
of colonizing species. --WT]]