-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Blanc, Lori
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2007 12:30 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: invasive species and cats

Hi all --

In all the discussion so far about introduced/invasive/non-native
species, I don't recall seeing any mention of cats.

I've heard a lot about the impacts of cats on wildlife in Australia, but
not as much about cats here in the U.S.  Indeed - this can be a
sensitive issue, since so many people have cats for pets, and let the
cats have free roam outside.  For example, I recently saw an article in
the New York Times (Nov 13), which presented the case of a birder in
Texas who shot a feral cat, which he had observed stalking endangered
piping plovers.  This case is in court, with many people upset about the
cruel treatment (i.e. shooting) of the cat.  The person who shot the cat
faces up to 2 years in prison and a $10,000 fine for shooting the cat.

So, this raises a few questions:

1) Are house cats considered an invasive species in North America?
2) Do cats have a significant negative impact on avian populations in
North America?

I realize that I can do a quick literature search on this topic to learn
more, but I'm also curious to see what the general opinions are of the
ecologists on this listserv, especially within the context of the recent
invasive species discussion.

Thanks,

Lori

Lori Blanc, Ph.D.
Dept. of Biological Sciences
Virginia Polytechnic Institute & State University
540-231-5256