-----Original Message-----
From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of megan klaar
Sent: Friday, May 16, 2008 12:35 AM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] waterproof laptop recommendation

Hi Michael and Anita

I used a Panasonic Toughbook for field work in southeast Alaska, and have to
say, I was rather disappointed.  It performed ok in downpours, but not the
constant drizzle, when the mouse would go haywire, and the computer would
freeze up until it was allowed to completely dry out.  Perhaps it was a
fault with my computer, but still something to bear in mind.

Regards

Megan

Megan Klaar
PhD student- Hydroecology
University of Birmingham, UK

> Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:11:15 -0700
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] waterproof laptop recommendation
> To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
>
> Hi Michael,
>
>   I have a Panasonic Toughbook (CF-Y4) that I am very happy with.  It is
lightweight (about 3 lbs), resistant and the battery lasts for 6-7 hours.
They tend to be a bit more expensive, but I bought mine refurbished from
this site and have not had any problems.

>   http://www.toughbookxchange.com
>
> Anita
>
>   Anita I. Stone, Ph.D.
> Assistant Professor
> Department of Biology
> Grand Valley State University
> Allendale MI 49401
> USA
> Office: (616) 331-2812
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Michael Russell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>   I am requesting a recommendation for a waterproof laptop. I am confused
by the adverts of "rugged", "semi-rugged", etc. My needs are fairly simple -
a laptop I can use in the rain (it doesn't have to be tough enough to be
dropped from a building!) - lightweight for carrying out to the field and
rainproof. I would appreciate any informaiton anyone could provide - thanks
in advance.

> Michael Russell
> Biology Department
> Villanova University
> Villanova, PA 19085
> USA
>
> Voice: 610-519-4695
> FAX: 610-519-7863
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> www.homepage.villanova.edu/michael.russell/

Win Indiana Jones prizes with Live Search
http://clk.atdmt.com/UKM/go/msnnkmgl0010000002ukm/direct/01/