This is from the Obama campaign website. It's a short YouTube video
discussing the need for action on (especially) climate change and energy issues:

http://enviros.barackobama.com/page/content/enviroshome

ALSO, Obama provides answers to 14 science-related questions that were posed
to (formerly) both presidential candidates here:

http://www.sciencedebate2008.com/www/index.php?id=42

HERE's the Q & A regarding his priorities for research:

13. RESEARCH. For many years, Congress has recognized the importance of
science and engineering research to realizing our national goals.  Given
that the next Congress will likely face spending constraints, what priority
would you give to investment in basic research in upcoming budgets?

"Federally supported basic research, aimed at understanding many features of
nature— from the size of the universe to subatomic particles, from the
chemical reactions that support a living cell to interactions that sustain
ecosystems—has been an essential feature of American life for over fifty
years. While the outcomes of specific projects are never predictable, basic
research has been a reliable source of new knowledge that has fueled
important developments in fields ranging from telecommunications to
medicine, yielding remarkable rates of economic return and ensuring American
leadership in industry, military power, and higher education. I believe that
continued investment in fundamental research is essential for ensuring
healthier lives, better sources of energy, superior military capacity, and
high-wage jobs for our nation’s future.

"Yet, today, we are clearly under-investing in research across the spectrum
of scientific and engineering disciplines. Federal support for the physical
sciences and engineering has been declining as a fraction of GDP for
decades, and, after a period of growth of the life sciences, the NIH budget
has been steadily losing buying power for the past six years. As a result,
our science agencies are often able to support no more than one in ten
proposals that they receive, arresting the careers of our young scientists
and blocking our ability to pursue many remarkable recent advances.
Furthermore, in this environment, scientists are less likely to pursue the
risky research that may lead to the most important breakthroughs. Finally,
we are reducing support for science at a time when many other nations are
increasing it, a situation that already threatens our leadership in many
critical areas of science.

"This situation is unacceptable. As president, I will increase funding for
basic research in physical and life sciences, mathematics, and engineering
at a rate that would double basic research budgets over the next decade.

"Sustained and predictable increases in research funding will allow the
United States to accomplish a great deal. First, we can expand the frontiers
of human knowledge. Second, we can provide greater support for high-risk,
high-return research and for young scientists at the beginning of their
careers. Third, we can harness science and technology to address the “grand
challenges” of the 21st century: energy, health, food and water, national
security, information technology, and manufacturing capacity."

Obama clearly has good intentions for science and research, though as others
have said, he has a few competing priorities. It will no doubt be incumbent
upon the community of scientists to keep research and/or ecology on the
front (or any) burner.

Michael Kirkpatrick
Botanist
Fort Collins, CO