Dave,

Sorry, libel or even criticism of an EdD degree was not my intention. I
realize that it certainly seems that way because I failed to provide the
context for my frustration with the EdD degree. I do not feel that an
EdD is an inferior degree, but the problem is that the general public,
including many potential employers, do not see it as the equivalent of a
PhD. The Wikipedia EdD page cites a couple of studies that suggest there
is no difference in the quality or quantity of work involved in EdD or
PhD degrees. That page also suggests that the EdD might be particularly
useful in preparing students for consultancy work. Unfortunately, the
majority of employers in aquatic science do not appear to feel the same.

I actually was going to enroll in an EdD program back in the 90's but
backed out after I saw several of my friends who earned EdDs repeatedly
get turned down for jobs that went to PhDs (see my other email). At the
time I was interested in combining fisheries research and extension, but
as soon as I said the word "research", prospective supervisors or
employers wanted to see a PhD.

I'm not sure how universities can educate the general public, and
particularly the science sector, about the relative roles and values of
an EdD and a PhD. Until they can, people who want a job in science will
(in general) be better off getting a PhD if they want to maximize their
chances of getting a position.

I apologize to the list for a knee-jerk reaction caused by a bad
experience from my past, but I wonder if the prospects for finding
employment with an EdD (other than in specialized positions that would
really suit the EdD) have improved much in the last 15 years.

Cheers,
Mark