Is it really oversimplification and is it really a problem? I agree that things 8th graders were reading 100 years ago are things college students struggle with now. Take children's literature, such as Alice in Wonderland (which does not present a wordy style) or What Katy Did Next (which is a wordy case in point). Neither book simplifies its vocabulary for younger readers. Since English does have an astonishingly huge vocabulary, it is sad if American college students do not have the vocabulary to read papers and books written as little as 50 years ago (think of some of those early papers in Foundations in Ecology).

Orwell, via Jane Shevsov, makes excellent points. These are points I keep trying to make to my students who are Taiwanese, but have to write papers in English. An aunt of mine, who teaches writing classes to American college students has noticed a tendency to use long words when there are plenty of short words that are as good or better.

I tell my students that the most important reason for writing a paper is communication. If readers cannot understand it, then why write the paper? In otherwords, if we have to choose between writing clearly and writing beautifully, scientists should choose writing clearly every time. It's one thing to write beautifully, and some scientists do write beautifully and clearly, but we have to remember that science is an international endeavor and most readers of scientific papers are in the same shape as my students--reading English as a second language. If we use complicated sentence structure, large words, foreign phrases, and cultural allusions, then our foreign colleagues will have a terrible time trying to understand our papers.

Another thing I keep telling my students is that they do need to know the jargon of their field, if only because they will encounter it in texts and papers. They do not, however, have to use this jargon when writing their own papers. Frankly, a lot of the bad writing we see in scientific papers is just the result of bad habits. Like all bad habits, they're infectious. My students pick up awkward and wordy and jargon-filled phrasing from the papers they read.

CL

Jane Shevtsov wrote:
> And here are Orwell's prescriptions:
>
> "(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you
> are used to seeing in print.
> (ii) Never us a long word where a short one will do.
> (iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
> (iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.
> (v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if
> you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
> (vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous."
>
> Rules 2-5 lead to precisely the kind of oversimplification of language
> that you worry about. I do not know what should be done about it or
> even if it really is a problem. (The case can be made that your
> reading comprehension skills should match the material you are
> actually likely to encounter, not more challenging material that few
> people write any more.) Still, it would be interesting to find out
> what our colleagues in English departments think of the situation.

Cara Lin Bridgman         cara....@msa.hinet.net

P.O. Box 013 Shinjhuang   http://megaview.com.tw/~caralin
Longjing Township         http://www.BugDorm.com
Taichung County 43499
Taiwan                    Phone: 886-4-2632-5484