Honorable Forum:

Especially given the generally taboo nature of the subject, I am greatly
impressed with the quality of the discourse. It is nourishing rather than
debilitating, refreshing, not intoxicating. I still have a lot more reading and
considering to do on the previous posts, but will try to use Sibley's comments
as a center about which to further flesh out my own thoughts, though they are
also based on reflection of other commenters.

I read Annie Dillard's book shortly after it was first published, and am only
vaguely aware of her discussion of meshing a creator with "modern" science, but
I do remember her eloquence. Those who want more of this sort of thing mixed
with "non-teleological" thinking should not miss "Breaking Through: Essays,
Journals, and Travelogues of Edward F. Ricketts" by Edward F. Ricketts
(Author), Katharine A. Rodger (Editor). It is a mix of science and what might
be called "philosophy" that comes as close to reconciling the two as I have
seen. Then, of course, there's literally all of Richard Feynman's writings,
recordings, and biographies and other material about Feynman that are always
worth the reading.

Feynman put it this way: "It is our responsibility as scientists, knowing the
great progress which comes from A SATISFACTORY PHILOSOPHY OF IGNORANCE
(capitals/italics mine), the great progress which is the fruit of freedom of
thought, to proclaim the value of this freedom; to teach how DOUBT IS NOT TO BE
FEARED BUT WELCOMED AND DISCUSSED (capitals/italics mine); and to DEMAND THIS
FREEDOM AS OUR DUTY (capitals/italics mine) to all coming generations." This is
about as close to proselytizing as Feynman ever got. The quote is from his
essay, "The Value of Science" which can be read in Ralph Leighton's (ed.) 2006
book, "Classic Feynman." The Essay that follows, "Cargo Cult Science," is an
essential companion. Both should be required reading for EVERY scientist of ANY
kind.

All science is PROVISIONAL; that is, it is considered to be "true" until it is
disproved, such as the "laws" of physics. Their validity is demonstrated by
their predictive value in experiment and application--this (especially) takes
precedence over "review" (peer and otherwise), popularity, and even
"replication." And the job of the scientist, custom to the contrary, is to work
to disprove hisher own theory. Still, the specter of GIGO hangs over all of
science, and illusions of validity can be quite convincing. "Sciences" like
ecology and geology, lacking a body of testable "laws" that continue to persist
in spite of persistent questioning and proofs over time, must rely upon the
PREPONDERANCE of the evidence, which is similarly tested and retested, refined,
as it were, over generations. So, if things like formulae are relied upon in
the PRACTICE of, say, methods in science education, and thought of as "faith,"
such faith must be a provisional one, subject to continued testing and
application--a continual feedback loop of actual consequences of application.

Appeal to a "higher authority" is not absent from science, e.g., the Millikan
Oil Drop Experiment was taken on "faith" for a considerable time, apparently
with scientists being so intimidated that when they came up with numbers
inconsistent with Millikan, they apparently presumed that Millikan must be
right, so "adjusted" their data to achieve conformance (I say "apparently"
because I provisionally accept "on faith" the superiority of "authorities" that
the story and the data are true--how's that for irony?). "Continental Drift"
was "denied" for about four decades until it became "Plate Tectonics" under new
authors, and "Piltdown Man" was considered valid for about the same period
until it was exposed as outright fraud.

Millikan himself was a proponent of reconciliation of science and religion.
http://www.aip.org/history/gap/Millikan/Millikan.html

So what if Nature and God were one and the same? And which state of mind will
bring us closer to Nature or God--an unshakable belief in a human tradition
(scientific authority or scripture/self-anointed "men" of God) or an eternal
Quest for, as Feynman once put it (essay and book), for "The Pleasure of
Finding Things Out?"

WT