I agree with Mr. Sibley. It would be impossible for each of us to weigh all of
the evidence available on every issue and come up with our own rational
conclusions based on that evidence, independent of others. We just don't have
that much time. When we learn, we rely on teachers who give us information,
which we believe to be true, especially with mathematic and chemical equations,
as previously mentioned. In science, however we are allowed to question our
teachers and are even encouraged to do, which is not as common in (some)
religions. In science we may call these things assumptions instead of beliefs.
Besides, who said the universe operates in a rational way? That, in itself, is
a belief. At least it is a concept that is untestable. We may able to explain
how certain things happen but can we ever know why they happen? Or if there is
a reason at all? Most of the things in my life, fortunately or not, are
completely irrational. Many scientists choose to see the world in a rational
way but the majority of people just do what they feel and it doesn't make any
sense (to me anyway).

I don't think it is fair to say that most scientists are not religious or
spiritual either. Besides, is
it really appropriate to generalize religious people any more than it is
generalize by race or ethnicity? I know many biologists and ecologists who are
spiritual people and good scientists. They are not hypocrites and the two are
not necessarily at odds. It just means they are thinking people. They are
considerate in the strictest sense of the word. They don't blindly follow
evangelists or adhere to radical ideas without good cause (i.e., evidence).
There are many scholars from many different religions that are thinking people
like this; not charlatans simply trying to convert as many people as quickly as
possible; monks and yogis for example that may very well have understandings of
the universe very different but equally as valid as that of scientists.

Frank Marenghi