Dear Jane,

That is true (and very interesting), Popper didn't believe in inductive reasoning as part of the scientific process, however, when you apply the H-D method you can only corroborate the hypothesis, you cannot confirm or prove logically an hypothesis, but you can logically reject the hypothesis. Popper proposed to work on falsification instead of corroboration, because he recognized the asymmetry.

The following is not about a true hypothesis but help to make the case:

If you continue seeing white swan you cannot logically confirm that all the swans in the planet are white (in fact they are not, there is a species of black swan in Australia). You only confirm the hypothesis until more data is collected, but you never are 100% sure that all the swan are white. However, if you see a black swan you can logically reject the hypothesis, and you are 100% sure that not all the swan in the planet are white.

Many scientisits will search for more white swans, but Popper will say, don't worry for more white swans, search for a black swan.

Hope this help,

Sorry about any grammatical error but English is not my first language.

Manuel