What I don’t understand about this thread is why people are so comfortable
giving unsolicited advice on someone else’s life decisions.  Simone didn’t ask
for advice on whether or not to take her child to the field with her, she asked
for tools to do so well.  She has doubtless assessed the risks and benefits
already or she wouldn't have asked for additional tools.

Simone and other scientists with children are mature adults capable of making
their own decisions about balancing family with research.  We should let them
get on with it without comments that make them feel unwelcome in our ranks.
Lack of family friendliness is one of the reasons for female attrition from
science, lets not add to it here.

Good luck Simone!

Lis

Lisa Castillo Nelis