Carolyn, I am the person who mentioned children being forbidden on field trips.
 I provided that information in response to an explicit question.  The policy
has nothing to do with whether or not the person who wished to take a child on
a field trip was a woman or a man.  No parent could take a child on a class
field trip that I sponsored or supervised.  It is as simple as we are going on
the field trip to do work.  We do not have time to properly supervise a child.
And it was in keeping with a university policy, but a policy that I supported.

Beyond that, university insurance did not extend to anyone not a university
employee and not enrolled in a course.  I am not going to assume liability for
any person on a field trip without the university having my back.  It happens
that of the various persons who asked me over the years about taking a child,
there were as many men as women.  Most of them wanted to take the child to
expose the child to the environment we were investigating.

There is nothing in any posts I've seen with one exception that makes any
assumption about whether a woman is able to make reasonable decisions
concerning her family.  I have seen some posts (and I provided a similar
perspective) suggesting that taking an infant into such a harsh environment,
and with the parent focusing on other activities as would usually be necessary
when working in the field, might not be the best thing to do.

I wish I had had broader, and more cautionary advice concerning a good many
things I did over the years.  I might have searched for better alternatives.

I did see one post where the author said that poor planning, getting pregnant
at an inopportune time, or something like that was perhaps at fault, and that
people are responsible not to let their personal life interfere with
obligations to a lab or something of that nature.  I responded to that post,
rather harshly, that the poster's sexism seemed to be showing, and that perhaps
he wanted only a June Cleaver model of parenthood to prevail.  I don't know
whether the post was dropped by the moderator for being overly critical of
another poster.  But, I've said it again here, and we'll see.

David McNeely

---- Carolyn Nersesian <carolyn.nerses...@sydney.edu.au> wrote:
> I could be way off-base here, but it seems like the most prevalent
> undercurrent in this thread is the implicit assumption that Simone or any
> woman (given that this issue clearly affects woman more than men) is not
> capable of making a well-informed and responsible decision regarding their
> family. Over and over again I see this stream of father-knows-best
> assumptions - from both men and woman - about what is appropriate and what is
> not appropriate (with some exceptions of course). From assumptions of poor
> planning, the child is too young, the situation is too dangerous, all the way
> to forbidding children from be allowed on field trips.

It is unfortunate that woman have not been afforded the same luxury as men have
had in the recent past to be awarded their own personal child care service
through marriage. Yet they are expected to function as though this hasn't been
a predominate career disadvantage or that their careers are not assessed
against a bar that clearly favors a situation they don't have access too. It
doesn't look like that kind of advantage is going to be offered to woman
anytime soon, so perhaps it's time to re-think the entire underlying dynamic
driving the topic. Especially because this issue seems to be framed within the
context of an entitlement that never existed for woman and is probably not
going to exist much longer for men.