Wow... Just tuned in.  Weird conversation.

I took my breastfeeding 4-month-old to the Galapagos and to the Amazon 16 years
ago, along with my 56-year-old (at the time) parents, after an unplanned
C-section.
The parents were definitively more trouble and at greater risk.  The C-section
was long healed, after 4 months!

A dear friend of mine was raised along with his four sibs traveling up into the
sierras by mule for a month each summer... Cloth diapers boiled in a big pot,
the whole deal. Not only did they all survive, they grew into happy,
respectful, well-adjusted adults.

You should really try some of this stuff personally, before you form too strong
an opinion.

I've also had a fieldworker think it would be interesting to pick up a
rattlesnake skin...  Not thinking. The whole field day was shot when we had to
take the person to the hospital to make sure the ensuing bite was indeed "dry".
You guess the gender and age (yep, old enough to know better). Stuff happens,
we take care of it. The more of us who are involved in taking care of that
stuff, the more satisfying the whole project will be.

If ecologists eschewed fieldwork that involved hazards (ranging from broken
ankles to Poison oak to tick bites), we would stay indoors. But we all know
that's even more hazardous. Even for babies.

My girls (now 11 and 16) climb trees and rocks (definitively not safe).  I only
lament that now that they are older and I am busier, I don't make time to take
them to the mountains enough!

Gear? A really comfortable front wrap carrier that faces both in and out so you
can breastfeed while walking. And everything else in your regular kit. And
maybe a mule.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone