Hi David,

I teach an online non-majors biology course and have been receiving very
positive feedback from the students about how much they learn and their
engagement with the material. My main strategies are:

1. Create a few larger assignments that build upon each other and for which
the students choose their own research topics.

2. Have the students teach as much as possible (they post 5-min videos &
reports on their research, students are assigned to
review/comment/contribute in response to their presentations).

3. Focus my own teaching on core concepts that unify the field of biology
(scientific method, genetics & evolution for my course) rather than "cover"
many topics.

4. Select 8-10 chapters in a non-majors biology textbook to serve as the
reference foundation & provide structure to the course (1 quiz/week type
structure).

For my course, the core assignments result in the students creating an
extensive family pedigree and researching human traits with genetic
influence (they almost always choose to research topics related to their
own family health history, which can be very powerful for them).

For an ecology-based course, an equivalent approach might be to revolve the
work around them developing a field journal of a particular place.  I have
done this with non-majors as well, and they always get a lot out of it.
 Many have never sat quietly in a natural place for 5 minutes, and the
experience can be very powerful and meaningful.

For example, you could create assignments where the students do various
activities, take samples, make observations etc. all at their "research
site" and do research on various topics related to their site as you work
through the different topics in class.  Done well, by the end of course,
each student will have an in depth understanding of how all these ecology &
biology topics fit together, and hopefully a meaningful relationship with
one place on the earth (and certainly a memorable course!).

Feel free to contact me off list if you want to chat more about any of
 these ideas, share resources etc.

Erica Marx
Department of Biology
Ithaca College