From: Ecological Society of America: grants, jobs, news
[ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU] On Behalf Of Jane Shevtsov [jane....@gmail.com]
Sent: Sunday, May 27, 2012 11:31 PM
To: ECOLOG-L@LISTSERV.UMD.EDU
Subject: Re: [ECOLOG-L] Non-Majors Biology

What disciplines other than engineering have departmental
accreditation at the undergraduate level?

Jane

On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 2:47 PM, malcolm McCallum
<malcolm.mccal...@herpconbio.org> wrote:
> The problem with biology education today is that there are:
> 1) no standards for what the major is
> 2) no accreditation governing what a department should comprise
>
> Europe now has accreditation for the discipline and if the US does not
> follow suit you can watch rapidly as we not only fall behind in
> biology, but basically fall like a rock in stature.
>
> Too many departments just wing it at the whim of the administrations' folly.
> Accreditation provides the departments with significant support and
> legitimacy in the face of those administrations that generally care a
> lot about money and little about quality or students.
>
> There are more of those than we care to admit.
>
> Look, we can't even agree whether biodiversity concepts belong in an
> intro to bio class.
> I find this not only disheartening but also frightening.  Where else
> they going to learn it, English?
> Most schools don't have an EVS course, and many never will.
>
> Malcolm
>
> On Sun, May 27, 2012 at 12:09 PM, Bill Hilton Jr. (RESEARCH)
> <resea...@hiltonpond.org> wrote:
>> With sincere respect to all of you in the fields of microbiology, genetics,
>> and other laboratory-based disciplines of the life sciences, I contend the
>> "Campbell Essential Biology" approach is exactly what is wrong with biology
>> education today.
>>
>> Nearly all undergraduate and high school introductory biology courses are
>> written as if EVERY student is going on to med school, nursing, or a career
>> in a lab-based science. I agree it's important for an undergrad course to
>> make mention of cytology, DNA, photosynthesis, etc., but I question the real
>> value to students of any non-major textbook in which 12 chapters deal with
>> cell-DNA and ecology, ecosystems, and the biosphere are relegated to the
>> last three chapters.
>>
>> My guess is that 95% or more of non-majors will never have any really
>> practical use for information about cell-DNA. It's complicated stuff that
>> their physicians and pharmacists need to know, but what would be of
>> infinitely greater value is for everyone to be familiar with basic
>> principles of ecology, plant-animal interactions, pollination biology, and
>> the like. Knowing about these things will enable students in general to
>> understand how humans fit into and affect the world around them, and such
>> understanding will help them make informed decisions about such things as
>> overfishing, watersheds and wetlands, use of household pesticides and
>> fertilizers--to say nothing of current controversial topics like global
>> climate change, fracking, etc.
>>
>> We all teach what we know, of course, and the vast majority of high school
>> biology teachers know what they learned in an undergrad biology courses
>> taught from the "pre-med" perspective. I know from 25-plus years in the
>> classroom and lab that for kids not going off to med-school the "pre-med"
> [...]

Jane Shevtsov, Ph.D.
Mathematical Biology Curriculum Writer, UCLA
co-founder, www.worldbeyondborders.org

"In the long run, education intended to produce a molecular
geneticist, a systems ecologist, or an immunologist is inferior, both
for the individual and for society, than that intended to produce a
broadly educated person who has also written a dissertation." --John
Janovy, Jr., "On Becoming a Biologist"