Hi all,

I have read this listserv for a good while but have never wrote until now.

I already deleted several of the previous emails so I donĀ¹t remember who
said what. However. I want to make two points:

1- Somebody suggested that a list of suggested topics were more
appropriate in an "Environmental Science" class than as part of a "Intro.
Biology" for non-majors.
I would like to suggest that perhaps something more akin to a "Intro.
Environmental Science" or "Biology and Society", or something like that,
may be much more valuable if a group is to have a single (never
re-visited) biology class, than something more like a classic General
Biology class. Please note that I am not referring to pre-meds or the
like, which after all are a type of biological scientists. I am talking
about mechanical engineers, architects, and business people.
I sincerely believe that despite one's best intentions, the great majority
of non-major attendees of the General Biology-like class will find it
boring, irrelevant, a turn-off and learn little from it. Alternatively,
true passionate interest could be elicited from a class for at least some
topics that are much more relevant to who the students are, where they are
in their life, and what they are likely to do from then on. In fact, some
may even find true relevance between (some of) such topics and what they
are likely to do in their chosen careers.
After all, even if at a very basic level, all students would have had a
high school introduction to what DNA is, why is important, a little bit of
the history of biological and ecological thought, a cursory examination of
the types of living things, etc. Why bore them again with the topics they
have chosen not to study (by virtue of their having chosen a
non-biological major)?

Thus, perhaps a class that tries to quickly survey some major "pillar
topics", without going into great detail, and then tackles current issues
on environmental quality, human impacts, population growth and resource
use, even of the relationship of the water cycle and human activities on
their effects on modifying ecosystems eliciting water and food shortages,
globally important or emerging diseases, and other topics that
non-biologists are likely to continue hearing about in their non-biologist
lives. I realize some of these topics may be though to be more relevant in
Environmental Sciences of even Earth Sciences, but so what... They impact
more the biology as perceived by non-biologists than other, "purely
biological" topics. This is the type of stuff we need non-scientists to
know, since after all, they will be making decisions and building things
that affect everybody else.

2- Chelsea Teale makes an excellent point - Better use can be made of
museum, nature centers and similar institutions. Beyond what they do as
depositories of natural and cultural values, and centers for research that
interests the naturalists (myself included), a major role they can play is
that of serving as resources for "non-traditional" education (i.e,
different that typical classroom stuff). The use of these resources for
age-groups beyond children is incredibly limited. I believe that some
creative thinking and putting into practice could enrich some adult
programs such as those of college non-biology-majors biology classes.

Cheers, Francisco.

Francisco J. Borrero, Ph.D.
Research Associate & Adjunct Curator of Mollusks
Cincinnati Museum Center at Union Terminal
Geier Research & Collections Center
1301 Western Avenue
Cincinnati, OH 45203