I recommend not being pessimistic at all, but a healthy dose of realism is a
good thing.  Broadening what one considers acceptable employment helps.
Enrollments are booming in community colleges and regional state schools during
this time of high unemployment/underemployment.  Eventually jobs will start to
be available in those circumstances, and that will take up some of the pool of
scientists who decide they'd rather teach than starve.  We won't be in this "to
hell with education and research" mode forever.  Wiser heads will eventually
prevail in congress and state governments.  Despite present circumstances, we
actually have a history as a country of supporting higher education.  That's
why our higher education system is so attractive to foreign students.  We also
have a history of supporting science, and will do so again.  David McNeely

---- J B <jeb...@ymail.com> wrote:
> As a graduate student, how
pessimistic should one be about obtaining academic employment after completing
a PhD?  Many articles I’ve seen present a
rather pessimistic picture, although most of these are not specific to ecology,
but address STEM in general:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/us-pushes-for-more-scientists-but-the-jobs-arent-there/2012/07/07/gJQAZJpQUW_story.html

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=does-the-us-produce-too-m

http://www.economist.com/node/17723223