Arguably, the changes DEB itself has installed in the NSF review process over
the past two years are also likely to damage the American scientific
enterprise. In order to relieve pressure on staff and reviewers, DEB has gone
to a once-a-year cycle of pre-proposals, with at most two pre-proposals per
investigator, and with ca. 30% of submissions allowed to go forward with full
proposals. The once-per-year aspect is deadly, in my opinion and that of every
senior ecologist and evolutionary biologist I've spoken with. The chances of
going for more than two years without support – whether for justifiable cause,
or a wacko review or two from a small pool of screeners – are quite
substantial. No funding for two or three years = lab death for anyone pursuing
high-cost research w/o a start-up or retention package in hand. Lab death can
hit both junior and senior investigators; the forced movement to a once-a-year
cycle means that the ability to respond quickly to useful reviewer comments and
erroneous reviewer claims is halved. The role of random, wacko elements in the
review process (and we all know very well those are there), is probably
doubled. And the ability to pursue timely ecological research is substantially
reduced by doubling the lags in the system. The full proposal for those who are
invited effectively increases the proposal-writing workload for many of the
best scientists. We have been saddled with a system that is sluggish, slow to
adapt, more prone to stochastic factors, and more ensnarling of the top
researchers in red tape. We can and must do better.

My advice: Return to two review cycles per year, no pre-proposals, and make the
full proposals just six pages long. Total review efforts will most likely be
reduced over even the current experimental approach, and writing efforts by
successful proposers will be greatly reduced. One incidental advantage: by
reducing the amount of eye-glazing detail on experimental protocols – which we
are not in any case bound to follow if we receive the award – we might reduce
the core temptation to which (alas) many reviewers and panel members are prone,
of playing gotcha with minor details of protocol while giving short shrift to
the innovative or possibly transformational value of the studies being proposed.

Thomas J. Givnish
Henry Allan Gleason Professor of Botany
University of Wisconsin

givn...@wisc.edu