Hey Everyone!

My name is Matt Smetana, and I’m a current sophomore at Brandeis University out
near
Boston. I have been subscribed to this listserve for a few months and have been
applying to various summer internships within the ecological/biological field.
I am certain
this is the career path I want to take but am unclear of the skill set required
to be
successful in this field.

My current degree is Environmental Studies, but I am also highly interested in
Ecology,
Wildlife Biology, and Forestry.  I am most drawn to internships and jobs
pertaining to the
biological field but enjoy my course work and have a real passion for the
environment.
My question is, can I become a successful ecologist or wildlife biologist with
a degree in
environmental studies or must I switch my major in order to obtain the
necessary skills
for the career that I want.

My main concern with choosing biology is that it inhibits me from taking many
desired
courses, studying abroad at a School for Field Studies programs, participating
in
independent research opportunities, and possessing an internship this summer (I
would
need to enroll in Chemistry this summer).

I will have already taken all of the requirements for the biology degree such
as the
introductory courses, biology lab, one semester of general chemistry and lab,
and all
required electives. But I have not finished general chemistry, organic
chemistry, or
physics. As ecologists, do you think it is more important to go for the biology
degree or
stay with environmental studies and gain experience through research, study
abroad,
and internships?

Any input would be very helpful and could potentially change the course of my
future!

Best,
Matt Smetana