It sounds like the problem is being able to fit in all the requirements while
still having time for research and study-abroad, right?

Generally speaking, the specific name of the degree matters less than your
experience when you are applying to jobs or grad school.  Having research
experience in a relevant area looks WAY better than having the right title but
no experience.  So, if you don’t want to change schools and you think the
environmental studies major would give you more “wiggle room” - stay in that
program, and beef up the “science” part with whatever science classes are most
relevant for your future career/education interests.  I would recommend
chemistry and probably organic chemistry, as well as genetics, evolution, and
some ecology classes.  Some of these you can do as part of a study-abroad if
your program allows you to transfer the credits: I did wildlife biology and
plant physiology in Australia, for example.  Check with the biology program -
you might be able to do with them this as well.

You could also double major or get a minor, as Malcolm suggests, but that might
increase your scheduling problems rather than alleviating them!  Of course, if
the requirements for a bio minor are fairly, well, minor…it wouldn’t hurt!

Emily Moran
UC Merced