Hi Emily:

I was in a similar situation as you several years ago.  I had been working
with a system and foresaw a lot of opportunity to answer some
interesting/important ecological questions. I reached out to potential PhD
advisors, met with graduate students and thought ALOT about it all.  Not
one professor with whom I spoke looked down upon my proposing my own
project...to the contrary, this was viewed positively.  I ended up getting
this opportunity and am now finishing my PhD.  The experience has been
overwhelmingly positive and fulfilling, and has produced postdoc
opportunities to continue doing the research that interests me.

So go for it.  You will get rejections and discouragement.  You will get
frustrated and confused.  The key is to be persistent.

More practical advice:  research very well different professors and
research groups.  Send them well-drafted emails. Go and visit them.  Apply
for the NSF GRFP and other fellowships.  Even if you aren't successful,
they really help to formulate your thoughts.

Dave

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 5:17 AM, Malcolm McCallum <
malcolm.mccallum.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you want to know what to do in graduate school, how to go about being in
> graduate school, and how to be a success in graduate school, and
> successfully find a job after graduate school,
>
> Read this:
> P.B. Medawar, Advice to a Young Scientist
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Advice-Scientist-Alfred-Foundation-Series/dp/0465000924
>
> It will be the best $5 (used) you ever spent.
>
> or, read a free online copy and spend your $5 to get lunch and read the
> entire thing while eating....
> http://evolbiol.ru/medawar_advice/medawar.htm
>
> Now, I will say that some of the advice after graduation is more attune to
> someone in a research school or research-focused department.  That fish
> won't bite in a teaching school, or a non-research school/department.
>
> The guy won a Nobel Prize, he probably has a clue.
>
> In any case, the bottom line is no two lives follow the same road.  Take
> yours, and hopefully it will be fruitful.
>
> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 11:14 PM, Malcolm McCallum <
> malcolm.mccallum.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If you want to know what to do in graduate school, how to go about being
> > in graduate school, and how to be a success in graduate school, and
> > successfully find a job after graduate school,
> >
> > Read this:
> > P.B. Medawar
> >

> http://www.amazon.com/Advice-Scientist-Alfred-Foundation-Series/dp/0465000924
> >
> > It will be the best $5 (used) you ever spent.
> >
> > Now, I will say that some of the advice after graduation is more attune
> > someone in a research school or research-focused department.  That fish
> > won't bite in a teaching school, or a non-research school/department.
> >
> > In any case, the bottom line is no two lives follow the same road.  Take
> > yours, and hopefully it will be fruitful.
> >
> > malcolm
> >
> > On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 1:21 PM, Emily Mydlowski <
> emilymydlow...@gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> Hello all,
> >>
> >> I'm delving into the graduate school search (MS and PhD programs) quite
> >> heavily and am seeking advice regarding approaching faculty with a
> >> research
> >> project. The system I'm interested in working on is that which has many
> >> unanswered, interesting questions I would love to pursue. From a faculty
> >> perspective, is proposing a project topic (too) bold of a move to a
> >> potential advisor?
> >>
> >> Any advice would be much appreciated.
> >>
> >> All the best,
> >>
> >> Emily Mydlowski
> >> Northern Michigan University
> >>

> > --
> > Malcolm L. McCallum, PHD, REP
> > Environmental Studies Program
> > Green Mountain College
> > Poultney, Vermont
> > Link to online CV and portfolio :
> > https://www.visualcv.com/malcolm-mc-callum?access=18A9RYkDGxO
> >
> >  “Nothing is more priceless and worthy of preservation than the rich
> array
> [...]

*David Daversa*

*PhD CandidateEvolutionary Ecology Group, University of CambridgeInstitute
of Zoology, Zoological Society of londondd...@cam.ac.uk
<dd...@cam.ac.uk>ddave...@gmail.com <ddave...@gmail.com>*
http://www2.zoo.cam.ac.uk/manica/DRDaversa.htm
<http://www.zoo.cam.ac.uk/zoostaff/manica/drdaversa.htm>