Dear colleagues,

As the abstract submission deadline is fast approaching (23 February) we would
like to draw your
attention to a special session (SS54) at the ASLO 2018 summer meeting, "Linking
microbial ecology to
carbon biogeochemistry across spatial scales", with an invited lecture by Dr.
Ralf Conrad.

We invite presentations focused on linkages between microbial ecology and
carbon biogeochemistry to
consider submitting their abstract to our session.

We look forward to seeing you in Victoria,

Sophie Crevecoeur (UQAM, Montreal, Canada)
Paula Reis (UQAM, Montreal, Canada)
Trista Vick-Majors (Flathead Lake Biological Station, University of Montana,
USA).

Apologies for cross-postings.

Session description:
Linking microbial ecology to carbon biogeochemistry across spatial scales

Aquatic ecosystems are crucial components of the global carbon (C) cycle,
acting as hotspots for the
degradation and production of myriad C compounds. Most of this C processing
happens through the
activity of microorganisms, which possess diverse metabolisms and profoundly
impact the composition
of C compounds in water. Such metabolisms include autotrophy, heterotrophic DOM
recycling, and the
production and consumption of greenhouse gases. These processes occur and are
controlled at a range
of scales, from the genomic and cellular to the ecosystem and landscape.
Through this session, we seek
to better understand the interactions between individual microbial cells,
microbial communities, and the
cycling of carbon in aquatic environments. We invite contributors from marine
and freshwater research
targeting linkages between microbial ecology and carbon cycling across spatial
scales from the cell to
the landscape. Contributions that focus on the link between microbial diversity
and ecosystem function,
the controls on microbial cycling of carbon, or on microbial activity and rates
of carbon transformation
and/or their energetic balance, are welcome. The application of innovative
approaches or new concepts
related to microbial carbon cycling are especially encouraged to form a dynamic
platform to discuss
advances in the field of microbial biogeochemistry.